Sunday, November 15, 2009

Aufwiedersehen! (See you again!)

GEK1036 has really been a really amazing module. First of all, it got me blogging for the first time. I remember having to look up on how to add photos and videos onto my blog! I thought blogging has been a mostly good experience. While it takes a weekly commitment – and especially the weekends – I believe it is a worthy substitute for the quiz. The weekly reflections got me thinking much more about the topics, and also how the topics relate to my own experiences. And of course, being able to read everyone else’s blog really opens up a great deal of ideas and perspectives.

On the whole, I have benefited a lot from this module. The topic I enjoyed most was Communication Systems 1: Components and Representation. You probably would recall the beginning of the lesson where we watched a video on cultural differences (and that “M&M’s melt in your mouth, not in your hand” best describes the American culture). That lecture brought me back so many memories of my internship in US. I remember being the only Asian in my office and it really made me aware of both language and cultural differences. The lesson helped me to understand and appreciate those differences. It also got me thinking, seriously, what the Singapore culture is. I am certain that lesson will go a long way with me, especially when I am overseas again for my exchange program.

As for the report, I can say confidently that I am now a better requestor! Never in my life have I analyzed so many request responses in German and Singaporean English. It has definitely been an eye-opener (in some way literally, as I had to decode 294 request responses!). I have picked up some really good strategies to make compelling requests, and from the hearer’s perspective, I have learn how not to fall for others’ request strategies. Haha. Seriously, I have grown so self-aware of my requests that I mentally decode even the most pedestrian of requests every now and then. I hope it isn’t a bad sign though.

Finally, I want to thank Dr Deng for this entire semester. I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Also to everyone, it’s been really great knowing you guys. Thank you and I wish everyone all the best.

Oh yes, do keep in contact through facebook. You can add me on splendid_gladwin@hotmail.com See you around and take care!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Gladwin, for the nice words about the course. Have a great semester ahead and see you around on campus.

    ReplyDelete